Time to Shine Small Funds
Grant size: £5,000 to £10,000
Deadline: 13/02/19 at 12noon
Time to Shine Small Funds - Round Ten: Open Round
Out of the Shadows: Time to Shine (TtS) is managed by Leeds Older People’s Forum (LOPF) and funded by the Big Lottery Fund’s Fulfilling Lives: Ageing Better programme to reduce social isolation and loneliness amongst people over 50. Time to Shine selects partners across Leeds to deliver unique and creative projects that engage socially isolated people. Within the programme is robust, external local and national evaluation to test and learn from the approaches and inform future work. Leeds is one of 14 Ageing Better areas, selected from an original 100 in England. LOPF secured approximately £6 million from Big Lottery Fund to reach more than 15,000 people in the city by 2021.
The Small Funds Programme is part of Time to Shine and has been established to help third-sector groups develop ways of reducing loneliness and isolation and strengthen communities benefiting older people defined as over 50 years of age. Leeds Community Foundation is delighted to deliver this scheme in partnership with Time to Shine.
There will be 11 rounds in total with different themes each round. This 10th round is Open, i.e. has no specific theme. Funds are available to support a range of community-based projects that older people in Leeds who are most susceptible to the adverse effects loneliness and isolation can get involved with.
Fund Theme: Open
Time to Shine Small Funds wants to be responsive to the needs that groups are aware of in Leeds, we have included this Open round to give applicants a wider opportunity to seek Time to Shine Small Funds.
Examples of previously funded projects include:
A. A breakfast café for older isolated men
B. A befriending project for older isolated people living with dementia
C. A postcard writing project linking isolated older people with new friends around the world using a combination of IT and traditional writing methods.
But we want to hear from you on how you want to address isolation and loneliness in older people aged 50+.
Please click the ‘Apply Now’ button on the left of this page to start your application.
The deadline for the receipt of all Round 10 applications is Wednesday 13th February 2019 at 12noon. We aim to distribute funds to successful applicants by early April 2019. Funding allocated should be spent within 12 months of receipt.
Successful projects will be required to submit interim and end of project monitoring reports, provide case studies (TtS templates will be provided) and use evaluation tools such as the Outcome Star to show the impact the project has made on the participant’s levels of social isolation and/or loneliness. Please note that since Round 7 the monitoring requirements have now changed and groups will no longer be required to complete Time to Shine Evaluation questionnaires (previously referred to as ‘CMF’).
Applicants need to be voluntary or community groups, charities or social enterprises. We cannot make small funds directly to individuals, statutory organisations or commercial entities. You can apply as a local organisation for awards of between £5,000 and £10,000 to be spent within 12 months of payment receipt. We have £45,000 to distribute in this round.
Your organisation doesn’t need to be based in Leeds but the project you apply for must only benefit residents of Leeds. If based outside of Leeds, you will need to explain the links you already have to deliver this activity in the city.
We are looking for :
• projects that bring a new way of working into your organisation to address needs of those socially isolated older people who find it hardest to access support due to geography; mobility; culture or other factors;
• activity that increases resilience or builds networks which enable older people to increase their social opportunities and networks.
• Applications that show that they are addressing a specific need in their community and that there is demand for their services.
• practical projects that provide real, tangible impact as opposed to information or events.
• projects which are proactive and work with other organisations to refer and signpost to enable people to access a wider range of support.
• Projects which involve older people. Older people are at the heart of everything that happens in Time to Shine so we would encourage projects to think widely about their involvement in all elements of your project: from design to delivery and evaluation.
• projects which consider how they contribute to a change in societal attitudes and behaviours towards older people, leading to reduced social isolation by making it everybody’s business to do so.
• Sustainable projects. Time to Shine Small Funds are limited to 12 month projects (minimum length 6 months), we are therefore looking for projects which embed and can demonstrate sustainability within their project proposal
The fund can be used to expand or broaden a current scheme / project or introduce a new idea / activity / pilot to address social isolation and loneliness.
We are not able to fund the following:
• Activity that is purely about research, though evaluation of the proposed activity can be funded
• Capital Projects (where capital costs are between 50%-100% of the total project cost): buildings including upgrades and refurbishment; vehicle purchase (but can fund general transport costs as part of your project).
• Costs associated with a project which you are already undertaking (although we will pay for expanding or broadening a current project if you can demonstrate it is effective, and how the planned expansion addresses an identified need) or to replace funding streams that are no longer available.
• Current Time to Shine delivery partners and projects costs paid to Time to Shine delivery partners. For a list of current delivery partners and the eligibility criteria for groups supported by current delivery partners please read the ‘Eligibility for projects supported by current TtS Delivery Partners‘ document.
• Campaigning activity.
Organisations can receive a maximum of two funding awards in Rounds 7 to 12.
If you would like further information on this round, future themes, the required monitoring or any other aspect of Time to Shine Small Funds, please contact Leeds Community Foundation at First Floor, 51a St Paul’s Street, Leeds LS1 2TE, Telephone: 0113 242 2426, Email: email@example.com.